About this page...


You're now viewing the old Lundy Bird Observatory blogspot. Explore the new website for all your favourite island news and wildlife updates. If you have sightings to report, please consider sharing your observations or photographs with the Bird Obs team here.

Sunday 29 March 2015

29/03/15 Still no reports of Puffins

We're still waiting for the first Puffin sighting. Especially since Puffins were reported in the Farne Islands in mid-March. Each time that I've been out recently there have been very few seabirds on the cliffs. This is possibly due to the light winds or colds nights before my visits.

I've been trying to get video of my Guillemot provisioning ledge from a distance with a telescope attached to the video camera. At this time of year the birds are too unsettled to allow me to visit as close as I do in the summer. I'm having to video from further away with a longer focal length ~650mm rather than ~200mm to ~300mm. So I need calmer weather to capture video. Unfortunately, this may not be the best conditions for birds to be attending my survey ledges.

After this gales, it looks like there may be a weather window tomorrow morning. I probably won't be able to get any video, but there should be a chance of seeing a Puffin if there are any around.
  • 25/03/15 179+ Guillemots on ledges. Video of St Philip's Stone breeding survey ledge.
  • 15/03/15 338+ Guillemots on ledges (only Jenny's Cove counted). Video of Jenny's Cove ledge E14:G1
  • 14/03/15 2 Guillemots on ledges.
  • 10/03/15 706+ Guillemots on ledges (only St Philip's - St Mark's count). Video of St Philip's Stone breeding survey ledge.




No comments:

Post a Comment